Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 10:19:24 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        shocking@bandicoot.prth.tensor.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday - update

> MUSBUS is now quite old - I believe it was developed around 1981.  I
> have a paper Ken McDonell presented at AUUG'91 when he discussed some
> of its shortcomings at that time [and there are probably more now].
>
> I've also heard him state (possibly during that presentation) that
> MUSBUS was designed to benchmark systems around 1 MIPS (ie a VAX
> 11/780), and results obtained on a `current' (ie 5-10 years old now)
> system probably reflect bottlenecks in MUSBUS, rather than the system
> under test.

Yeah - remember porting this beast to Microport V.2, back on an old 286.
Needed some explicit (char *) casts as I recall (sizeof int != sizeof ptr).
Now with the 64 bit CPUs, we're seeing those problems again...

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California