Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:37:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   User/virtual administration

It's been awhile since I've posted here... Hopefully this will be
interesting to a few of you, though! (If not, feel free to hop over this
message and go on back to the great terrorism debate, which, by the way,
has been really interesting reading.. ;-)

I'm proposing a new administration project, and am currently compiling an
ideal feature set and initial research. This project, essentially, will
aggregate and centralize administration of various possibly distributed
system components, but in a user-centric way. This is in some ways like
some rubber-stamp style "virtual hosting" platforms, automating repetitive
administrative tasks and hiding all the gory details of pesky and
typo-prone things like DNS zones, apache <VirtualHost>s, passwords, etc,
for each user or account. (I.e., NOT like webmin, etc, which manage in a
module-centric way). Of course, this project will be developed on FreeBSD
:-)

I know that similar projects exist.. But it seems to me that every one of
them that I have been able to find suffers in certain areas that I want to
address and correct.

At this point, I am considering the following issues:

	* Similar products--my list of similar products is probably
	  not complete. What is out there for this? Is anything
	  similar in development right now?

	* Feature requests--If this project is developed, what
	  key features would be most important? Or, conversely, what
	  annoys you most about the system you are using?

	* Demand--who would use such a thing? Is this something that
	  is sorely needed by many? Or are the current products
	  accessible enough (in terms of TCO and time required
	  to set up)? Would the project be sufficiently marketable
	  to support itself? (tough questions! :-)

	* Support--would anyone *consider* contributing time/money/
	  resources to the development of something like this, given
	  a more formalized proposal? What would you require before
	  contributing?

Feel free to reply to the list, or to me privately. If you suggest a great
feature that I didn't think of, you will of course receive proper
acknowledgement if it is used.. But if you feel the need to place
restrictions on the use of your killer ideas, etc, you are probably best
not to send them at this point. :-)

If I receive an encouraging response to this, I WILL sink some significant
time into it and put your responses to their best possible use.

Thanks!

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon