Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        graham <graham@avint.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

--- graham <graham@avint.net> wrote:
> It's alot easier to fool Biometrics than you think.
> I saw an episode of @discovery on The Discovery
> Channel's Canadian channel
> explaining how a mathematician and some grad
> students could fool all the current
> commercial biometric systems with common household
> items available from any
> supermarket. But I don't fully remember the details
> of that paticular episode.

I don't doubt it (although I missed the special), but
I don't know anyone who advocates the use of
biometrics as the sole method of authentication (US
airport security aside...).  Most of the time I've
used them you either needed a badge with it, or a
badge/PIN combo.  The addition of biometrics to a
badge or badge/PIN combo -even if it was tuned to give
more false positives than negatives- makes a huge
difference.

So what interests me is could these guys beat the
handprint reader WHILE they have a stolen/forged
smartcard AND someone's PIN code (all matching the
same person of course)?  If they can do that then my
hat is off to them and they should be Sneakers 2.

=====