Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:46:02 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pine dumps core under -stable

> Thanks for the help.  A number of people have responded to check
> /etc/login.conf for per user limits.  Somehow I don't think that is the
> problem since I *can* open the same file that causes Pine to blow up in VI
> wihtout VI dumping core.  I tried changing all values for memory in the
> default section to inifinity and then logging out and back in, I still get
> the same results.

Your naivete is touching.  Let me upset you by observing that Pine is
not a text editor, and does not treat files in the same fashion as such
a device does.

Pine is known to interact extremely poorly with the FreeBSD malloc() (a
fault in pine), and this manifests as excessive memory consumption when
it comes to reading large mailboxes.

Increasing the soft limits in login.conf won't increase the hard
limits, which is what pine is running into.

To put it simply - if you want to work with large mailboxes, use a
better mailreader.