Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:37:15 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        ARUN G NAIR <virtualarun@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a package manager for FreeBSD ?

On Saturday 27 April 2002 06:06 am, ARUN G NAIR wrote:
| Hello All,
|
| I am planning to buy FreeBSD 4.5 .I have been using RH
| linux for some time.It was easy to install things on
| it.I heard that there was no package manager for
| FBSD.Is that right ?

No, there is.  THere is pkg_add / pkg_delete / etc. to manage binary
packages, and the ports collection to build code from source in a fully
automated way.

It's all a lot cleaner than the Linux wasy of managing things.

| Does FBSD support rpm's .I am
| planning to download java 1.4 for FBSD.Which should i
| download, the rpm or the tar shell script ?

FreeBSD doesn't support .rpm's in *general* since FreeBSD is not a Linux
distribution, but some ports actually work by installing rpm's.  There is a
package to hangle rpms that you can install if you've enabled the Linux
emulation feature of FreeBSD.

In general, it's best to install FreeBSD-native version of things rather than
Linux versions where you can; Netscape 4 and java are two of the rare
exceptions, plus of course those programs which don't exist in a portable
form.

| Kindly Reply.
|
| Arun

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go