Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:21:13 -0500
From:      Rob Zietlow <zietlow@securepipe.com>
To:        mike@sentex.net
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, rob@the-rob.com
Subject:   Re: SOLVED! Native PPPoE broken (4.6-STABLE), RP-PPPoE working?!

>Just to close off this issue an feed it to the archives in case anyone =3D
>else
>runs into this issue, the telco found the article below in the vendor's
>knowledge database.=20

>Again to summarize, if you use FreeBSD, PPPoE and your ISP or your ISP's
>telco uses an ERX as the PPPoE concentrator, make sure you disable and
>prevent VJ header compression as it will not work.  Bell Canada has been
>slowly deploying these boxes so if you use Sympatico, or your ISP is in
>Quebec or Ontario, you will start to run into this issue as the telco =3D
>slow
>gets rid of their Redback SMSes and replaces them with Unisphere's ERX
>boxes.=20
>
>The solution I found was to make sure that its also disabled and not
>offered in RADIUS either, so you might have to talk to your ISP if they
>have it configured, as we did.

how exactly do you turn this off?  Or even find out if it's enabled? A se=
arch=20
on google mostly gives up ISDN cases of this kernel option.  one article=20
mentions spppcontrol to turn this off, but when I attempt to use this opt=
ion=20
I get the following

PITA# spppcontrol tun0
spppcontrol: SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS): Invalid argument

I also attempted 'pppstats tun0'

PITA# pppstats tun0
pppstats: invalid interface 'tun0' specified
pppstats: couldn't get PPP statistics: Invalid argument

PITA# pppstats -h
pppstats: illegal option -- h
Usage: pppstats [-a|-d] [-v|-r|-z] [-c count] [-w wait] [interface]

Is there anything that I need to set in the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf or a sysctr=
l?

Rob=20

>=09---Mike
--=20