Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:56:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@pu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: regarding natd and FreeBSD

| warendaj@comcast.net writes:
|    If I send files or other data upstream *through* the natd system (i.e.
| from a machine on the LAN to a machine elsewhere on the net) I have no
| problems what so ever ... but if data is sent from the FreeBSD system
| *itself* ... for instance someone remotely logging into my private FTP and
| transfering data ... the connection gets totally killed.  Latency across the
| natd router goes through the roof.

I suggest you try to upgrade to 4.5-RELEASE or 4.5-stable.  I believe there
was a problem in 4.4 that would explain your issue.  4.3 was fine, something
got broken in 4.4.  Do some recent searches in freebsd-hackers for "tcp slow"
and you may find a patch/explanation or two. :-)

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net