Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:23:09 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD architecture over Linux?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 04:52:28PM -0800, Haikal Saadh wrote:
: >From personal experience,
: o We just got CardBus while linux has had cardbus support for a
: while.

When I switched, I ran into a similar problem with parallel port zip drives.
However, after looking at the Linux code and then the existing FreeBSD code,
there is no question which one I would trust more.  ;-)

: o Debian's packaging system has optional dependencies, whilst the
: closest this freebsd has is using WITH_SOMETHING or WITHOUT_SOMETHING
: in while make'ing. (Either  that or hack makefile :D )

I guess I'm fortunate this hasn't caused a problem for me, at least not that
I am aware of.  Then again, it's nice to have portugrade to hold my hand.

: o Linux kernel compile/install process is still a Royal PITA. FreeBSD
: is as easy as a make buildkernel and a make installkernel.

Ah, yes.  Thanks for reminding me of this.  It's been a long time since I
did a Linux kernel customization.

: o We have background fsck. I didn't think this was that important,
: but when I actually saw it in action, I was impressed.

It sounds very cool.  Fortunately, my laptop doesn't crash often, so fscking
isn't something I deal with often.

Jonathon
--
When I die, I want to go in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.