Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 23:32:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> >but no voting or other crap should be employed in the decision making
> >process for resource allocation; there is no room for Gerrymandering.
>
> Why should donors part with their money if they have no control over
> getting their concerns addressed?

To get unsexy but necessary work done?

Certainly, *IF* the FreeBSD project indicated a willingness to manage
funded tasks, then I suposed they could implement a list of tasks they
would like to fund, and a breakdown of funding vs. bodies based on
their priorities.  Something like:

Funding level	o	o	o	o	o	o	o ...

Allocation	|	|	|	|	|	|	|
		|	|	|	v	1st ABI body
		|	|	v	2nd SMP body
		|	v	1st tree maintainer
		v	1st SMP body
		1st installer body

You want a body assigned?  Pay the difference in the funding level
between where it is and where the task you are interested in gets
its next body...

Alternately, they could list the projects they would be willing to
fund, and you could "vote" for the project, like you want, by $
assignment.

The problem with your approach, though, is that you will not be
guaranteed to get threshold funding to ever actually start doing
anything.

I think that Jordan has done some of this prioritization already
(Mike Smith being the "1st installer body"); the only difference
is that he has not disclosed his priority list (probably he's
saying to himself "I'll deal with the problem of where to put extra
funds when I see that I have extra funds... it's a problem I'd be
happy to have" 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---