Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 01:49:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Web Server benchmark

Lo and behold, Frank Durda IV once said:
> I am looking for a program that will beat on a WWW Server
> and give some measurement of performance, such as transactions
> per second.
[...]
> So anyone who knows of such a program that will do this job (preferably
> free software), please send me EMAIL.  Thanks.

   The most commonly used program for this purpose is 'webstone'.

ftp://decuac.dec.com/pub/www/webstone.tar.Z

   However, it doesn't compile very well under FreeBSD, to say the least.

   I've patched it up (if there's an official patch of this to FreeBSD, I
couldn't find it, but if you can, I'd encourage you to use it instead)
and put it in my ftp directory:

   ftp://ftp.aros.net/pub/util/freebsd/webstone.tar.gz

   The original was seriously weird, so I wonder if I actually got the
right package.

   Anyway, it's a semi-functional port.  It's not by any means a real
FreeBSD-style "port" but it compiles.  If there's demand for something
better, I'll actually clean it up and submit it to the ports collection.
Let me know.  And let me know how this port works for you.  I just did it
and haven't really had much time to test it, though it appears to be
functioning correctly.  Yes, this is a disclaimer.

   -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)