Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 19:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_* commands

man pkg_add

pkg_add(8)               UNIX System Manager's Manual               pkg_add(8)

NAME
     pkg_add - a utility for installing software package distributions.

SYNOPSIS
     pkg_add [-vInfRMS] [-t template] [-p prefix] pkg-name ...

DESCRIPTION
     The pkg_add command is used to extract packages that have been previously
     created with the pkg_create(8) command.

etc......
just point it at the .tgz file

e.g. package_add fred.tgz