Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 19:35:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marc Ramirez <mrami@mramirez.sy.yale.edu>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Age Counter (was Re: Hackers ages)

Okay, preliminary results from the Age Counter.

Assessing the straight data, accumulated over a roughly 24-hour period,
we get:

sample: 40  mean: 341.398

This astonishing result is (mostly) due to John "Methuselah" Birrell, who
is still poking along at the ripe old age of 12345.  If we make like a
tobacco industry researcher and ignore his datapoint, we get a more
reasonable

sample: 39  mean: 33.6136

If we assume that Mr. Birrell mis-typed his actual age (12), we get

sample: 40  mean: 33.0733

I'll throw a list of participants as well as some nifty analyses on my
homepage later on tonight.  First, I must sup (as in eat).  Can I make a
GIF with GNUplot?

Now, for the other side... How old is Linus? 26? That's one point; so
far we've got 'em beat!

Marc.

--
                AMAZING BUT TRUE ...

If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.