Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:16:26 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cheaper conferences Not in commercial hotels would help BSD.

"Dan Langille" wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2002 at 17:24, Julian Stacey wrote:
>
> > _Cheap_ conferences _Not_ at hotels would help BSD promotion !
> > Un-necessarily expensive conferences impede participation & interest in BSD
> .
>
> I look forward to details about your conference.  You are planning
> one aren't you?

Hope to, dependent on sufficient like minded local activists :-)
You'r in USA ?  Planning to fly to Germany ?  Or casual interest ?

As I wrote:
    ] To open one's mouth, is of course to be invited to contribute to a
    ] solution :-) So if there's serious interest in a European BSD
    ] conference in Munich, I'd willing to investigate what the local
    ] universities could offer during holiday periods.

Munich would be a good venue:
	Good building & rail/road/air infrastructure; Central West
	European location; A healthy local BSD group http://bim.bsn.com
	; several Univesities; Popular city to visit in it's own
	right ; Cheap hotels/pensions round the rail station near
	the main computer street, (Best avoid an expensive `Official
	Conference Hotel', & instead designate cheapish
	Pizzerias/ Pubs/ Coffee Bars to meet in.)

Where best to discuss plan & build further support ?
	- A local BSD friend has asked me to also post to the
	  advocacy@NetBSD & Munich BSD lists, & I'll do that.
	- He will contact a German BSD list,
	- But what about assorted Free/ Net/ Open BSD people in assorted
	  other European acceptable- travelling- distance countries ?
	- Is there a Euro-BSD mail list ?
	- Nik Clayton may have a mail list from the UK/ Brighton conference ?
	- The Amsterdam November 2002 http://www.eurobsdcon2002.org/
	  does not seem to have a mail list, but just offers IRC.
	- I dont see a mail list at EG http://www.eurobsd.org

Should we create a European- BSD- Conferences@ mail list ?
	To be used through the years, not one- conference- use-
	specific  To plan dates, announce & recruit speakers etc ?
	What do UK & Dutch conference & other future organisers
	think ?  Should the list be housed under majordomo@
	Free/Net/OpenBSD.org, or majordomo@ some- non- partisan-
	All- Not- Just- One- BSD site,
	(EG but not necessarily bim.bsn.com) ?

Julian Stacey	jhs@berklix.com   Computer Sys. Eng. & Unix Consultant, Munich
	Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren.