Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:13:57 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mark Evenson <mark.evenson@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of Java 1.1 and 1.2 support in the ports tree

G'day Mark,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:17:19AM +0200, Mark Evenson wrote:
> >More than a month ago, JDK ports related to Java 1.1 and 1.2 were marked
> >DEPRECATED and scheduled for removal. This period has come to an end,
> >and it is now time that we remove the support for these ports in
> >bsd.java.mk before we delete the JDK ports themselves.
>
> I just noticed that java/jdk11 is scheduled for removal, so sorry for
> the late comment.
>
> I would like to add one use case for this port:  compiling code that
> will run on the version of Java shipped with every vanilla Microsoft OS
> since Windows 98 (aka. "the Microsoft Virtual Machine").  Its been a
> number of years (2003) since I needed this (getting an Java SSH applet
> that will work in any cybercafe on the planet). but java/jdk11 was
> really the only environment where I had a chance of producing code that
> seemed to work reliably.
>
> Maybe I never will need to do this kind of work again, but I just wanted
> to mention how this port could potentially be useful outside of internal
> FreeBSD ports dependencies.

Unless someone else comes forward saying they are using jdk11 today, I
don't see a statement of "this was useful for me 4 years ago" as being a
reason to keep an ancient version of Java around today :).

Even if someone did, I'd point out that the only way to use jdk11 is via
the compat3x port, which has been marked FORBIDDEN for a long time and
has an unknown number of security holes.

Basically, I think the removal of these ports will be going ahead unless
someone comes up with a Really Good [TM] reason not to.  They're basically
just a maintenance burden at the moment.

That being said, we're not removing the distribution files for jdk11, so
if someone desperately needs to use an 8 year old JDK they can still
download the binary, install compat3x and run it (assuming it does).

Similarly for jdk12 the patchsets are still downloadable and there are
manual compilation instructions included (if you can get one of the
bootstrap JDKs to actually run).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org