Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:29:21 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jumpin' Joe Schroedl" <joe@ns1.uscreativetypes.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

At 07:40 PM 7/16/2000, Jumpin' Joe Schroedl wrote:

>A doctor owns a Porsche (excuse my prejudice that every wealthy person
>drives a Porsche ;).  One day, he recieves a letter in the mail from
>Porsche with the message printed on the envelope 'Important Recall
>Information Inside.'  Now should the Doctor a) panic and call his mechanic
>or b) open the letter and *read* it.  Common sense dictates that a
>'Recall' message could mean anything from a 'not-so-cold' air conditioner
>to a serious safety defect.

Whatever happens, though, the word will get out that Porsche is issuing
recall notices, and it will hurt their brand. That's one of the effects
we're seeing here.

What's more, it can be fixed by reformatting ONE LINE of each advisory in
a way that simply makes it more clear where the problem lies. Making things
more clear never hurts, IMHO.

--Brett