Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 08:14:40 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Joshua Peck Macdonald <jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

   classes as well as for a SLIP or PPP connection.  The number
   I know using freebsd is about 5 I think, linux is probably closer
   to 100.  I can't explain that one.

I can.  Linux people have got distributions; two hours and you got
everything on disk, including TeX, emacs, doom and everything.  There is no
need to select between at least three different variants of BSD.  Add
unbeatable stability records when used in end-user workstations and lots of
masses using Linux.  There are other more subtle reasons, but those are far
enough.

We currently use about 15 PC's running FreeBSD as routers and servers, but
the user workstations and personnel's home machines are Linux.  The main
reasons for using FreeBSD here is Linux networking code (sigh) and
non-existant source management, and probably some history.  FreeBSD gets
hurt badly by unstability, not much change to "sell" FreeBSD to anyone as
long as the longest uptimes are weeks.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN