Date:      Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:36:13 -0400
From:      "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SiI 3114 woes

Jon Dama wrote:

>Yes, but only in a configuration <=3GB.  But I thought those problems were
>ironed out?  I've been looking to switch that machine back to
>FreeBSD/amd64 but haven't had a chance yet.  Would love to know if there
>are issues ahead.
>
>-Jon
>
>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Mars G. Miro wrote:
>
>>Yo list/Soren!
>>
>> Has anybody successfully installed FreeBSD on the dual-Opteron TYAN
>>ThunderK8W S2885 ( http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html )
>> using the onboard SiI 3114 SATA controller? This mobo is supposedly
>>supported:
>>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=80857
>>
>> But I have never been able to successfully install
>>FreeBSD({5.3/5.4/6.0Beta3/4} amd64/i386) on it, using SATA.
>>
>>In my last attempt at installing 6.0Beta4 AMD64 on it, I get:
>>
>> ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED>
>>LBA=105819039
>> g_vfs_done():ad4s1e[WRITE(offset=23695114240, length=2048)]error = 5
>>
>>  at the debugging console
>>
>> and
>>
>> panic:bundirty: buffer 0xffffffff9a7faff0 still on queue 1
>> cpuid = 0
>> KDB: enter: panic
>> [ thread pid 3 tid 100021 ]
>> Stopped at         kdb_enter+0x2f: nop
>> db> trace
>> Tracing pid 3 tid 100021 td 0xffffff007ba14be0
>> kdb_enter() at kdb_enter+0x2f
>> panic() at panic+0x249
>> bundirty() at bundirty+0x128
>> brelse() at brelse+0x831
>> bufdone() at bufdone+0x225
>> ffs_backgroundwritedone() at ffs_backgroundwritedone+0xa7
>> bufdone() at bufdone+0x2ad
>> g_vfs_done() at g_gvfs_done+0x63
>> g_io_schedule_up() at g_io_schedule_up+0xd4
>> g_up_procbody() at g_up_procbody+0x7a
>> fork_exit() at fork_exit+0xbb
>> fork_trampoline() at fork_tramploine+0xe
>> --- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffffffb2160d00, rbp = 0 ---
>> db>
>>
>> Some months ago, I did successfully install FreeBSD 5.4/amd64 on it,
>>using PATA IDE drives, and no problems whatsoever, so I think this has
>>something to do w/ the SiI 3114 driver.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> I do apologize for cross-posting but this concerns -stable and -amd64.

It looks like the same issue that we have been complaining
about irt the ATA driver in 5.4/stable..  Several people have also found
it to be a problem under 6.0.  In my case, it happens with a plain old
PATA drive (via 8235 controller).  It runs fine under PIO4 mode, any
DMA modes result in the same errors you got.

I was working on updating and installing the ataMkIII patches since
that's the only version that is being supported :^<  But they are
supposed to merge the  beta code that is in 6.0 into 5.stable and
it sound like the same errors are occurring.

I'm seriously considering installing Gentoo and wash my hands of it.

John         <FreeBSD since '94, ver 2.0.x>

John T. Farmer            Owner & CTO                GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com     865-691-6498               Knoxville TN
    Consulting, Design, & Development of Networks & Software