Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:56:42 -0600
From:      Manfred Riem <mnriem@gmail.com>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Subject:   Re: ports/74696: net/xnap: Remove crosslisting in java category

I was corrected by Herve on this question, the only thing that needs to
be stated more clearly I think is that the PR submittal process should
file to the primary listing and not to the java PR category.

The java PR category should be used for ports that have the java category
as their main listing. What do you think about that?

So my effort will now be geared towards going through the list of
ports in the java category and see if they should have their main
listing in the java category or that they should be listed in another
category (which would result in moving them).

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:23:53 -0200, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira
<lioux@freebsd.org> wrote:
>        Well, this PR is about a better understanding of what means the
> java category.
>
>        Its current use also encompasses applications as seen in both
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/java.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.freshports.org/java/
>
>        Checking out the Porter's Handbook which should be the source
> of all knowledge (*giggles*, well, it lags behind but it should be :).
>
>        The java category is listed as: "java Software related to the Java language."
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-categories.html#AEN782
>
>        So, it comes to this. Are we saying that the current usage
> should be changed to java language related applications not including
> applications written in java?
>
>        I do not think so but the ports system is adaptable and
> ever changing so it would be nice to visit this question.
>
>        How does the java@ team feels about it? I for one think
> that we should keep the current statement, java as primary category
> for applications related primarily to the languange and secondary
> for anything written in java as we have for perl and python.
>
>        What do you guys think?
>
>        Regards,
>
> --
> Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
> feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature

Kind regards,

--
Manfred N. Riem
mnriem@gmail.com