Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 08:57:00 +0200 (MEST)
From:      pias@gmx.ch
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for Win emulation ...

> Morning all ...
>
> 	I've got a Dual-Celeron machine here at home, running 5.0-CURRENT,
> and 128meg of RAM ... I have two SCSI hard drives in my machine, SCSI-ID
> 0
> being Dual-BOOT Win98/FreeBSD ...

Only 128MB, for a dual processor?

> 	VMware is nice, but a dog ... I can go for coffee waiting for the
> mouse to return ... and it won't let me use my existing 'physical disk'
> cause its not IDE ...

I use VMware on my laptop, it runs perfectly. It needs a lot of RAM
though. I have 386MB. You'd better upgrade to 256MB at least, then run Win98 in
64MB (or 128 if you have large apps). On my desktop (350Mhz PII, 256MB) it's
also fine.

Btw did you configure windows to use the vmware tools, and do you have the
special X-window server with DGA, so that vmware/windows has direct access
to your display in fullscreen mode? If not, vmware is slow to the point of
being useless.

I'm not aware how vmware performs under FreeBSD / Linuxulator though. I've
only used it in Linux until now.