Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:10:45 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@cswnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 01:47:27PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:47:27 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Chuck <cdc2@csd.uwm.edu>
> Subject: Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)
>
> Okay, let me refraze.
>
> I work for a University I am the sole computer guy for a network
> containing 50 work stations and four servers to include exchange and all
> that fun stuff that goes with it....Give me the correct resources and I
> will give the security that goes with it...but with what I have thats
> impossible.  After all they dont pay me the 90,000 that it takes.

> To get to my point, not all IT departments are large enough to cover every
> single security breach in an OS, esspecialy when that OS is open source
> and any good coder who knows how to read can find a million holes it.

I don't get paid anything close to $90,000.  I have managed 12 FreeBSD servers,
5 FreeBSD workstations (at work, more at home), we have 15,000 dial-up users,
and everyone runs to me when their Windows box has "issues".

I haven't had a security breach since I killed off the old boxes left by a
previous admin.  This is my first *nix job.  I have had to learn FreeBSD, and
security, and each server software package at the same time.  I've been doing
this for two years.  I worked an average of 65 hours per week for the first
year.  Then I learned how to NFS mount my /usr/src and /usr/obj trees.   Now
I spend most most of my time looking at ways to improve the quality of the
services we provide to the customers.  When a security problem is announced
I have all of my machines upgraded that evening if it isn't too serious and
within an hour if it is serious.

One of my (l)users managed to infect themselves with a virus.  It took me
three days to get it cleaned off her system without a network connection and
without losing her data files.  That has been my biggest issue, and the
Windows boxes are not in my job description.  If they were, we wouldn't have
any.  We'd have FreeBSD X-stations.

So don't give us this nonsense about the open-source OSs being so difficult
to stay on top of.

> Im not saying that the Admins should be stupid, just that there is only so
> much one person can do.

Maybe you have chosen the wrong career field.  I think a real SysAdmin can
administrate his/her systems and is willing to learn what they need to know
to do so.  I'm too lazy to run Windows stuff.