Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 05:18:30 -0500
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        Terry Rossi <picspc01.pics.com!tpr@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of Inodes - Please Help

>I just turned on a newsfeed (I know that was my first problem)
>and the filesystem with /spool/news is out of inodes, can someone
>point me in the right direction, I cannot seem to figure it out.

Inodes are entities on the disk that point to where file data lives.
There is one inode for each file and directory on the disk.
Being out of inodes is one way in which your disk can become full;
the other is running out of data blocks.

When a partition is high-level formatted using "newfs", a certain number
of inodes are created, based on the assumption that the average size of
a file is 2K bytes.  For news directories, this is a bit too large,
which will cause you to run out of inodes before running out of data
blocks.

What you need to do is reformat your news spool partition using, say:

	newfs -i 1024 /dev/xxxxx

where xxxxx is the name of the device on which your news is mounted.
This will make the assumption that each file is 1K bytes instead of 2K.
It goes without saying that the above command will erase all data on that
filesystem partition, so if you want anything there you have to back
it up first.

							- Gene Stark