Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:03:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Accidentally Discovered Spam Stopper

I found a cool way to minimize the annoyance that spam causes and it
requires minimal leg work. I haven't had spam in any of my "good"
mailboxes for a long time and it is purely by accident.

My procmail recipes filter all of my mail to my ~/mail/Inbox' mailbox (and
a few other places) with a ^TO jcwells@u\.washington\.edu. Any remaining
mail that doesn't get filtered and goes to '/var/mail'.

Amazingly enough all of my spam is getting left behind in my '/var/mail'
mailbox because spammers always send mail to "Undisclosed Recipients"
which never matches jcwells@u.washington.edu.

Yes I suppose it is possible to have good mail not get put in the proper
box this way but it hasn't happened to me yet. Yeah it is simple and
stupid but it makes me happy that my foul up is actually useful.

If it's not a bug it's a feature, right?

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/