Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 05:18:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      gram@cequrux.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/17620: Digi/570i sync driver (if_ar.c) causes system freezes

>Number:         17620
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Digi/570i sync driver (if_ar.c) causes system freezes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
First, let me point out that even though this is on an old version of
FreeBSD, the arN driver code has not changed since this release in any
way that would have fixed the problem (at least not by FreeBSD 3.3), so
it seems safe to assume that the problem still exists in all versions
of FreeBSD subsequent to 2.2.8.

When using a Digi/570i card in place of a dedicated router, the O/S will
freeze up after a while. The last few lines in the kernel message buffer
look something like:

Mar 6 18:46:47 cpmail /kernel: ar0: Receive error chan 0, stat a4, msci st3 b, rxhind 1, cda 400a, eda43a2.
Mar 6 18:46:47 cpmail /kernel: ar0: Receive error chan 0, stat a4, msci st3 b, rxhind 2, cda 4014, eda 4000.

The machine has to be hard-reset after this to bring it back up.
>How-To-Repeat:
It seems to happen after some time. It doesn't appear to be related to
heavy load, but presumably there must be *some* load. On the machine in
question, it has happened twice this month. If this was a panic
followed by a reboot it wouldn't be quite as bad, but freezing up is
very undesirable behaviour, especially as this machine acts as a
mailserver.