Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:45:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libkern/quad.h

On 10 Apr, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:58:42PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> quad.h contains:
>> ---snip---
>> /*
>>  * XXX
>>  * Compensate for gcc 1 vs gcc 2.  Gcc 1 defines ?sh?di3's second argument
>>  * as u_quad_t, while gcc 2 correctly uses int.  Unfortunately, we still use
>>  * both compilers.
>>  */
>> #if __GNUC__ >= 2
>> typedef unsigned int    qshift_t;
>> #else
>> typedef u_quad_t        qshift_t;
>> #endif
>> ---snip---
>>
>> Is this still valid? Does someone really use gcc 1 to compile FreeBSD?
>
> I assume your question stems from trying to use icc.  Please wrap this
> bit [semi]-properly with:
>
>     #ifdef __GNUC__
>     #if __GNUC__ >= 2
>     typedef unsigned int    qshift_t;
>     #else
>     typedef u_quad_t        qshift_t;
>     #endif
>     #endif
>
> You can then put a defintion for #ifdef __IC

Fullquote because your message seems to be truncated...

Yes, your assumption is correct. And BDE already said this particular
example became invalid before FreeBSD-2.0. I think it is ok to remove
this particular example entirely and just use the first typedef.

As for other occourences of the use of __GNUC__ without a check if it is
defined: I will wrap them as soon as I review my own patches again.

Bye,
Alexander.

P.S.: Any news on the icc <-> linux_base issue?
--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!