Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 23:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov
Cc:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net, richard@pegasus.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

Hello,

I realize this is a technical merit discussion... but wanted to put my
$0.02 in...

I've been building servers using both adaptec and symbios cards for quite
some time.  About 2 years ago I stopped using adaptec cards in favor of
the symbios-based cards.  For the most part, up to that point I was a
die-hard 'nothing but adaptec in my machines' guy.

What started it all was that I started having difficulties with adaptec
cards flaking out.  They would just spontaneously not working... causing
scsi errors... etc.  Mostly on the 100Mhz motherboards.  So I reluctantly
decided to try the symbios cards. They worked 100% fine in all of my
problem systems.  I noticed no performance impact in those machines at
all.  Since then, I've been using symbios cards on almost all of my
servers.

Admittedly I have not run benchmarks on the different systems that I have
running, but I can't tell any difference between my adaptec-systems' and
my symbios systems' performance.  I've got a large raid-array hanging off
of a symbios differential-scsi card and have no complaints.  The
performance difference (that I can't see) with the adaptec cards is not
worth 3+ times the price of the symbios cards.

For me, when scsi-performance starts becoming a bottleneck, I find I'm
usually switching to a DPT SmartRAID/CACHE controller anyway.

My $0.02,

Jay