Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:50:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/ppp command.c datalink.c datalink.h          defs.h vars.c vars.h

> > It looks like all development on ppp takes place on the "MP" branch. I
> This is a major re-structuring, which will just replace the PPP in
> -current when it is finished.  The use of the MP-branch is just to let
> people see what's happening, keep history,.and to make it possible for
> Brian and me to coordinate (not necessarily in that order).

since this appears to be the right forum...

there are a few things I would like (eventually) to go into ppp,
so i am just throwing a few ideas here... i don't have the time to work
on these things now, although I might look at them in the summer.

* Fair Queueing support (i don't think it is already there, just a
  priority for interactive packets ?)
  the code could be grabbed from the ALTQ package recently announced on
  this list. Not necessarily the full package, just the FQ stuff could
  help;

* "preemption" .
  I don't think ppp allows this, but perhaps it could be possible to
  implement preemption of long packets (or transfer them in smaller
  'cells') so that interactive traffic does not suffer exceedingly
  large delays... is there any work on this ?
  (the alternative -- lowering MTU -- is not that attractive i
  believe, since it causes some overhead even if the last hop has
  proper header compression)

	cheers
	luigi