Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 15:25:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

Heikki Suonsivu stands accused of saying:
>    I know using freebsd is about 5 I think, linux is probably closer
>    to 100.  I can't explain that one.
>
> I can.  Linux people have got distributions; two hours and you got
> everything on disk, including TeX, emacs, doom and everything.  There is no
> need to select between at least three different variants of BSD.  Add

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but this is ridiculous.
It takes an awful lot less than two hours to get all of that (excepting
perhaps DOOM 8) up under FreeBSD; and that aspect has little or nothing
to do with the Linux:FBSD ratio.  Image is the question.  Like graffiti
and american basketball, Linux is K00L, and while it's K00L, it'll "sell",
technical issues have little or nothing to do with it.

> unbeatable stability records when used in end-user workstations and lots of
> masses using Linux.  There are other more subtle reasons, but those are far
> enough.

That, again, is arguable.  In my experience, in any given situation a
well-configured FBSD system will survive longer than an equivalently
configured Linux system, whether it be routing, NFS serving, running
interactive users, or as a development workstation.  Granted, Linux
seems to perform better in resource-starved environments.

> non-existant source management, and probably some history.  FreeBSD gets
> hurt badly by unstability, not much change to "sell" FreeBSD to anyone as
> long as the longest uptimes are weeks.

I don't know anyone around here other than Linux fanatics that would
claim that FreeBSD was unstable; all of the major PA sites run (and
swear by) FreeBSD. (except a couple on Sun hardware 8)

> Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[