Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 21:03:51 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

Sorry I drimmed the list of the cc...
On Wed, 1 May 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> > 	there is not a debate.
> >
> > 	my 486dx2-66 with 16MB and scsi drives will perform a
> > 	"make world" faster than several 586-75's with 16+MB and
> > 	*IDE* drives.  a 586-90, assuming long integer data set of
> > 	100kB, is over twice as fast as my cpu.  but the ide drives
> > 	slow the compiles horribly.  ( use Hint to get the cpu computation
> > 	speeds http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html)
> >
> > 	now maybe its the driver, maybe its the IDE drives themselves.
> > 	i aint re-writing the ide driver, so i dont care (at this point).
> >
> > 	dare, jis eyent naw dabayt.
>
> Jonathan, I was looking at the new Tyan MB's, they say that they use IDE
> bus mastering, and claim a major speed increase.  I am not sure (I am a
> SCSI bigot myself) but maybe yours claims of SCSI dominanace over
> IDE won't be so automatically true shortly.

I have a strane feeling all Triton motherboards have the feature(?) as the
IDE controller is part of the chipset. Or am I again remebering falsely?
Perhaps not as Win95 tends to recognise it's there (but say that bus
mastering is not supported). So are 486 motherboards based on the SiS
chipset and most probably also several others.

> Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2
>
> Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
>   Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
> Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
>   One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
> In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
>   One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
>   One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.

	Sander

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)