Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:03:19 -0400
From:      "Lyndon Griffin" <lyndon@bsd4us.org>
To:        "Bri" <brian@ukip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem: unregistered isr number 18

Hope this helps...  I've not seen that error, but I've had similiar woes:

I had an ISP a while back with which I essentially had a static address,
though I had to periodically "refresh" using DHCP.  This was convenient for
gateway changes (which were frequent).  Anyways, MS's DHCP client always
passes the hostname as part of the request.  To get this to work on FreeBSD,
I had to set this parameter in the dhclient.conf (I don't remember the
parameter) using the hostname that was supplied by my ISP.

Bri writes:

> Hi I'm using dhclient to obtain an ip address off my ISP and I sometimes get
> the message swi_net unregistered isr number 18 but this is a kernel message
> and it only seems to happen as a result of running dhclient -cf
> /etc/dhclient.conf -lf /var/db/dhclient.leases hme0
>
> I don't know what the message means but normally if it doesn't show that
> continuing message I recieve_packet failed invalid argument on hme0.
>
> I'm also not sure what thats referering to but I know that doesn't seem to
> affect the operation of dhclient because I know this from testing it on my
> laptop with another dhcp server and ip's detect fine..
>
> the only thing is, is I can't seem to obtain an ip from my ISP when a
> Windows machine detects it almost instantly and I'm not sure why.
>
> my sparc64 kernel is compiled with
>
> options IPDIVERT
> options IPFIREWALL
> options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
>
> which are quite standard options.
>
> I have had it detect an ip once but only once and I must of left it
> detecting one for like 12hrs which isn't good.
>
> a cry for help
>
> Bri,

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-sparc" in the body of the message

<:)  Lyndon
http://bsd4us.org/