Date:      Mon, 21 May 2018 15:01:12 -0400
From:      Ian FREISLICH <ian.freislich@capeaugusta.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

Niclas

On 05/18/2018 01:58 PM, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> [ Cross posted to freebsd-current@ and freebsd-x11@.=C2=A0 Please respect=
=20
> reply-to and send all replies to freebsd-x11@.=C2=A0 Thanks! ]
>

> Hi!
> I propose that we remove the old drm2 driver (sys/dev/drm2) from=20
> FreeBSD.=C2=A0 I suggest the driver is marked as deprecated in 11.x and=
=20
> removed from 12.0, as was done for other drivers recently.=C2=A0 Some=20
> background and rationale:
>
> The drm2 driver was the original port of a KMS driver to FreeBSD. It=20
> was done by Konstantin Belousov to support Intel graphics cards, and=20
> later extended by Jean-S=C3=A9bastien P=C3=A9dron as well as Konstantin t=
o match=20
> what's in Linux 3.8.=C2=A0 This included unstable support from Haswell, b=
ut=20
> nothing newer than that.
>
> For quite some time now we have had the graphics/drm-stable-kmod and=20
> graphics/drm-next-kmods which provides support for modern AMD and=20
> Intel graphics cards.=C2=A0 These ports, together with the linuxkpi, or=
=20
> lkpi, has made it significantly easier to port and update our graphics=20
> drivers. Further, these new drivers cover the same drivers as the old=20
> drm2 driver.
>
> What does the community think?=C2=A0 Is there anyone still using the drm2=
=20
> driver on 12-CURRENT?=C2=A0 If so, what is preventing you from switching =
to=20
> the port?

I'm running -CURRENT on all my systems.=C2=A0 I have a "3rd Gen" HD Graphic=
s=20
4000 that I'm running drm-next on but I'm about to revert to drm2=20
because of instabilities.=C2=A0 Xorg spontaneously crashes, and doesn't on=
=20
drm2. I also have a Haswell system running drm2 which I have not tried=20
drm-next because SWMBO is particularly intolerant of stuff not working.

I also ran drm-next successfully on a Sunrise Point-LP system with=20
"Intel UHD Graphics 620" because drm2 didn't support the graphics chip=20
before switching to linux to get the trackpad and sound working.

I guess the situation is that your mileage may vary depending on your=20
system.=C2=A0 I'm OK with installing drm2 from ports, but at this point I'm=
=20
not really OK with loosing drm2 at this stage because of the instability=20
in drm-next on my one system.

Ian

--=20