Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:15:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD ..  what's the difference??

>  Would you explain what's the difference between these OSes?

As I understand it, the main difference between these OSs is their focus.

The NetBSD team focuses on making a PORTABLE Operating System. That is,
an operating system that will work on many different platforms. (ie Intel,
PowerPC, Alpha).

The OpenBSD team, which split from the NetBSD team, focuses on making a
SECURE Operating System.

The FreeBSD team focuses on making the BEST Operating System!

Oh. Sorry. The FreeBSD team does not have a single focus, from what I
observe. I guess they try to make a usable, STABLE Operating System.

>  Are they all free?

Yes.

> Which is the best?

This question will bring many answers (depending on the open-mindedness
of who you ask) and the most common anser you will recieve is
"Try them and find out".

I have only ever run FreeBSD, so I can't say.

Cover-my-ass-statement:

I take no responsibility for what I say. If I have made any errors,
feel free to correct me.