Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 00:31:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      rbarton <rick@metronet.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, rbarton wrote:
>
> > Since we're on the subject of GUIs... any word on Fresco?  Is there
> > anybody working or considering this?
>
> I'm perfectly happy with Motif, using the Doug Young method of wrapping an
> entire widget tree into a C++ class, rather than the thin-wrapper approach
> of encapsulating every widget.  I think that objects should correspond to

My concern isn't on the language as much as it is the look-n-feel, and
that it's free. :-)

> As for Fresco, I was under the impression that it was an experimental
> component of X11R6, similar to LBX (the low-bandwidth X extension I found

I didn't know it was just experimental.  I just thought it was going to
lean toward a good interface, not a total redo of all the widgets.

> Personally, if I wanted to move away from Motif, but still use X and Unix,
> I would choose Java (which, in the Unix implementation, is itself based on
> Motif).  Java is OOP, and cross-platform too, and in theory, could be
> easily integrated with C++ programs in the manner of TCL/Tk (although it
> isn't common practice, but it is how Java's standard classes are bound to
> Motif and other standard libraries).

I like Motif too.  I haven't tried integrating TCL/TK into any C/C++ apps
though.  I suppose I'll break down and purchase Motif some time.

rick

                          \/ o \/
 any landing you can walk  \___/  away from is a good one
                           / | \                       rbarton@metronet.com