Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 18:38:04 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kenneth Miller <kemiller@hcs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: improper shutdown

> On Monday, 05/25/98 at 11:31:16 PM, Kenneth Miller wrote:
> >
> > I've had a minor (?) but irritating problem ever since moving to stable
> > from 2.2.5.  When I reboot, the disks don't have their clean flags set
> > and need fscking.  If I shutdown to singer user mode and manually
> > unmount the disks, and remount / readonly, it's fine.  But using the
> > shutdown program to go all the way doesn't work.  I will assume this is
> > some misconfiguration on my part, but I was a little perplexed that it
> > began only when I moved to stable.
> >
> > Any suggestions or answers appreciated.
>
> OK.  After a little more poking, it became apparent that what was
> happening was that certain filesystems were still busy, causing the
> reboot syscall to give up and halt without unmounting the filesystems.
> Why, then, would they be busy?  All other processes should have been
> terminated, and no error message appeared indicating anything else.

I've had this problem on one of my FreeBSD systems at home, a small
system I use as an X Terminal.  It doesn't always occur, about once
every 5-10 shutdowns.  The problem's been there since 2.2.5.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC