Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 00:57:53 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS Optimization

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:55:14PM +0100, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> Hi Guilherme,
>=20
> OK. But I'd like to know if I should use CFLAGS in a OS like FreeBSD. I
> know that I have good optimizations on Linux, but I don't know if
> in FreeBSD is the same, and I'm afraid of putting the FreeBSD stability in
> risk.

The risk is the same in Linux; they both use gcc, and it's gcc which
has the optimizer bugs.  It's more common to use absurd gcc
optimizations in the Linux community for some reason (perhaps they're
used to code misbehaving, so additional brokenness from the gcc
doesn't add much ;-)

Just Say No.

Kris

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu