Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:59:25 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org

--adJ1OR3c6QgCpb/j

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:21:05PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> >   1.  PGP.  Not a huge deal, but anything that makes it easy to publici=
se
> >       your PGP key is, IMHO, a good thing.
>=20
> This message is PGP-signed, but is not MIME.

I'll take your word for it.  I have procmail automatically re-MIME any
non-MIME PGP signed messages that come in :-)

> >   2.  People submitting patches as attachments.  It's much easier to
> >       pull out 3 different attachments from a message if they're
> >       separate attachments than it is to have to cut-n-paste out of the
> >       message body.
>=20
> uuencode=20

Makes it in a pain to inspect the patch inside the mail client.

> and/or shar can do this. =20

Shar would be the lesser of two evils.

> Actually, the only reason I don't like MIME is because not everything
> can read it: specifically, the mail archives and the composition
> portion of my archaic MUA.  I understand no one really cares about the
> latter, but the former is a problem.  Have you actually tried looking
> at your messages in the archives?

I just took a look at=20

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D69731+72121+/usr/local/ww=
w/db/text/2001/freebsd-doc/20010422.freebsd-doc

which, IMHO, looks OK.  The first four lines are easy to ignore, and
it's obvious where the end of the message is from the sig block
=20
> All that said, I can live with MIME.  It'd be nice if the mail
> archives can be fixed, but I personally don't want to spend lots of
> time doing that.

What would a fix look like?  The mail archives could use an overhaul
anyway (and have done for some time).

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--adJ1OR3c6QgCpb/j

--adJ1OR3c6QgCpb/j--