Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:19:07 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Shaun Dwyer <shaun@crystal.com.au>
Cc:        Adrian Gonzalez <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Symantec Ghost-like app for UFS?

Shaun Dwyer wrote:
> I did this recently on one of my machines using tar...
>
> the procedure is:
>
> do minimal install on new disk for the purposes of creating
> partitions and installing the bootloader etc,
>
> boot off old disk in single user mode, mount new drive and then use
> tar to the following... for example, to do /usr,
>
> cd /usr tar cvf - --one-file-system * | tar xf - -C /mnt/new_usr

A "more proper" incantation would be:

tar lcvf - -C /usr . | tar xpf - -C /mnt/new_usr

Using -C is a matter of preference, and -l == --one-file-system.

The major point here is the p option which makes tar create the targets
files with the same perms as the sources.

> This is the way to do it if you are moving to a different sized disk
> and want to change the paritition sizes.

It "defrags" the filesystem, too, for those so inclined to believe in
defragging.