Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:49:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, kjc@csl.sony.co.jp
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

> >> The reson for me asking about removing Cranors stuff, is that I don't
> >> think we are serviced well with two competing implementations in the
> >> tree, and of the two HARP is much more complete and usable, and most
> >> importantly:  it is actively maintained.
>
> What makes you think Cranor's driver is poorly maintained?
> As a maintainer of the driver, I never heard of complaints.
> Many minor problems have been fixed by Chuck and me before other
> people even notice.

I've NEVER had a problem using Cranor's driver.  It is well
maintained.  As far as its usability, the HARP driver has no
IP QoS support that I know of.  Thus making it unsable for my
work.

> >> I am aware that many reseach projects run on Cranors stuff, but if
> >> they are not even considering upgrading from FreeBSD 2.1 for
> >> instance, they do not really factor into the equation of FreeBSD
> >> 3.1 and further down the road, do they ?  :-)
>
> They do.  FreeBSD has been the best platform in network research and
> we should be proud of the stability of FreeBSD 2.1 :-)

I'm using the ALTQ modified Cranor driver on 2.2.7 platforms.
As soon as it is ported to 2.8 and 3.x, I will upgrade as well.

> As for ALTQ, I'm not eligible to evaluate it :-) but the issue will be
> raised along with the IPv6 integration.   Both INRIA and KAME already
> merged ALTQ in their release.

I've been using ALTQ since May on prototype IP-layer QoS host and
router platforms to evaluate network QoS services (basic traffic
control, intserv/RSVP and diffserv) for NASA'a Earth Observing System.
When EOS is fully operational in 5 years it will be pumping data at
an average of ~200Mbs.  The ALTQ prototype is reliable and robust at
handling traffic at OC-3 line speed.  It has advanced QoS capabilities
that are beyond the commercial implementations.

If ALTQ will be incorporated into the FreeBSD tree then by default
the Cranor driver will also need to be supported.

I agree with Suresh Bhogavilli that there are features in the CAIRN
version and ALTQ version of the Cranor driver that if merged would
make an even better ATM driver.

> --Kenjiro

George Uhl