Date:      29 Jun 1999 15:49:21 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Miguel Gilly" <mgilly@bonsai-studio.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redundant Remote Webserver clustering

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:51:33 +0000, "Miguel Gilly" <mgilly@bonsai-studio.com> said:
Miguel> I would find it extremely helpful if FreeBSD could offer
Miguel> redundant clustering capabilities for ISP applications.

Miguel> Nowadays I feel that it is a far better choice to choose a x86
Miguel> Unix cluster over the expensive Sun/SGI SMP servers.

Miguel> I found some affordable tools for Linux, but almost nothing
Miguel> for FreeBSD. I feel such an ability would raise the value a
Miguel> lot of FreeBSD.

If you're talking true close-coupled clustering, my reply's not gonna
help :-( If you're talking about web-type servers, read on...

Have you checked www.EddieWare.org? It's a (web) load balancer and
dynamic DNS, performing somewhat similar functions to commercial
products from RND Networks, F5 Labs, Foundry, IPivot, Alteon, etc.

Runs on Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux, and recently <gag> NT </gag>.

I'm just getting into it now, as the F5 folks want an absurd $27K for
a single dynamic DNS (two required), and I think their $15K each
balancers are a bit high, since it's SW running on BSDI boxes
(previously FreeBSD!) running on commodity hardware. I'm not saying
the boxes aren't worth it -- what I've seen works great, has a command
line interface, seems secure, and even the GUI's good.

But I think the Eddie project on FreeBSD would give you 90% of that --
open source. My big thing these days is fault tolerance: at the server
level, at the (web) farm level, and at the colo/datacenter level. If I
can get that then I can sleep easy while the back-hoes do their
work...