Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:02:29 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-RC2 Installation comments

--==_Exmh_-1875633386P

If memory serves me right, Randy Pratt wrote:
> I was unable to locate an md5 checksum for the 4.7-RC2.iso but it
> seemed to be okay.

Murray had some permissions problems on ftp-master, so he couldn't make/
update the CHECKSUM.MD5 file.

The checksum from the original ISO image is:

MD5 (disc1.iso) = 442571d757cc867dd7043e0a16f6d358

> The install went smoothly as expected.
>
> Normally, I don't install KDE or Gnome but I tried the KDE desktop.
> When I reviewed the package selection menu, I noticed that it
> had only installed some of the kde libs and the kde base.  The
> meta port for KDE was not marked as already having been installed.
> I selected the meta port and it installed the remaining uninstalled
> KDE elements (games, network, multimedia, etc).
>
> Is the intended behavior?  I would have thought that the entire KDE
> suite would have been installed if I had selected it as my desktop
> during the install.  I can repeat the install if needed, making notes
> of the packages that do get installed when selecting the KDE desktop
> as the default.

Good catch, Randy.

This is weird.  We have both the x11/gnome and x11/kde3 metaports in the
disc 1 package sets, but sysinstall/config.c installs gnomecore and
kdebase, rather than the metaports.

This feels wrong to me somehow.  One of the commit log entries (from
around 4.5-RELEASE) mentions that we install kdebase rather than the KDE
metaport to save package space on disc 1, but our package splitting
scripts already put the metaport there.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1875633386P

--==_Exmh_-1875633386P--