Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:21:53 +0000
From:      Shawn Bakhtiar <shashaness@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with nsswitch.conf

Good morning All,

I'm trying to configure my server as an LDAP client. I installed the nslcd =
service and it's working great.

My problem is when I issue the command getent passwd it only returns the LD=
AP user not the local users.=20

#
# nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
# $FreeBSD: releng/10.2/etc/nsswitch.conf 224765 2011-08-10 20:52:02Z dougb=
 $
#
group: file ldap
group_compat: nis ldap
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: file ldap
passwd_compat: nis ldap
shells: files=20
services: files=20
services_compat: nis
protocols: files=20
rpc: files

When I change the above group and passwd setting back to compat (which was =
the default configuration) I get the local users but none of the ldap users=
 show up. In fact nslcd is not even called (i've checked by running it in d=
ebug mode). So how do I configure nsswitch to use both the local /etc/passw=
d file and the ldap. I need this because without it services will not start=
. IE nslcd complains that nslcd is not a valid user when using the above co=
nfiguration.

Any help would greatly be appreciated,
Shawn