Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 20:52:01 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@smile.clinet.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Uh

Please don't forget this in 2.1 release,

# Note that, unlike most similar systems, the FreeBSD SCSI system
# does not wire a particular device unit number to any specific
# SCSI bus unit number.  Rather, unit numbers are assigned in the
# order that the devices are found on the SCSI bus.  (This means that
# if you remove a disk drive, you may have to rewrite your /etc/fstab
# file.)  It is expected that this will change for FreeBSD 2.1.

I'm pretty sure it would be easier to explain the insurance company that
"the box of dynamite the machine was standing on exploded" than "I forgot
to power up the disk containing /tmp and got /users mounted there instead."

[I can't figure out how linux people can live with this.  And I certainly
didn't expect BSD to pick up this booby-trap]

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN