Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 23:48:00 +0000
From:      freebsd@isvara.net
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: YA EtherExpress?

Snob Art Genre (!) wrote:

> While I was searching for information on fast ethernet (specifically,
> whether it's always switched, or can be shared), I came across the
> following:
>
>    The EtherExpress PRO/100 Smart Adapter is an intelligent server card
>    for Fast Ethernet networks. The PRO/100 Smart Adapter comes with an
>    on-board Intel i960 processor that offloads the host CPU and delivers
>    even lower CPU utilization and faster throughput than the standard
>    PRO/100 Adapters. The PRO/100 Adapters has a PCI bus and a NetWare
>    driver co-developed by Intel and Novell for optimal performance.
>
>    Price: $895
>    Version: PILA8485
>
> Has anyone heard of this?  Is there any point to it?  Does FreeBSD
> support it?

It's Intel's attempt at a network card specifically for the server market,
trying to
catch on for it's low CPU utilization. With good ethernet card drivers, and
extra tweaks in the internet stack for speed, _who_ needs the EtherExpress
Pro/100 SmartAdapter???? Nobody. Especially at that cost.
(I like the way is says '...has a PCI bus...' - wow what a new concept!)

I don't think FreeBSD supports it. I'd be suprised to see anyone having one
of
these cards.

As far as your original questions go:
'Switched' ethernet depends purely on the (switched) hub used, not the NIC.
All the
nodes on the local network share the same hub, but before switched hubs,
data was
broadcast to the whole network physically. AFAIK, 10Mb and 100Mb networks
are functionally the same (apart from needing the extra hardware support),
but both
10Mb and 100Mb carrier signals can be used.

Thanks,
    Dan