Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:43:00 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   coda

Hi,

I have a requirement for a cheap, yet highly reliable back-end network
filesystem for a project that's coming up.

In previous lives I have dealt with such requirements using NetApp
filer clusters with FCAL-attached disk; however, this is Not A Cheap
Solution (although it does have many other advantages).

However, I have just read through the coda docs, and have started to
drool :)

I have a picture in my mind of various back-end machines with (say)
small piles of SCSI disks in them all contributing to a coda
filesystem, arranged with volume replication such that any individual
machine can be pulled from the array without noticably hurting the
clients.

Is anybody using coda in a real world environment? With FreeBSD 3.2
clients and servers?

How would you rate the performance? As a benchmark only, would you ever
(in your wildest dreams :) consider running a production news server
with its article store on a coda filesystem?

How about something with way more reads than writes, like a farm
of web servers?

How stable is coda in it's current form in -STABLE?

Joe