Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2020 16:01:53 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Office Hours: April 1, 2020 18:00 UTC

--hAhpB183ESiq4JnvoER6u3fdibCxUU2uS
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc: freebsd-current@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

--LMi2jioEqeRQRcGT6tfC5cpMDy3HsIJ62

On 2020-03-29 20:25, Allan Jude wrote:
> Hello everyone
>=20
> This coming Wednesday at 18:00 UTC we will hold the first "FreeBSD
> Office Hours", an interactive online event where users, contributors,
> and developers can ask questions and get advice.
>=20
> We are still experimenting with the format, but the first iteration wil=
> be an open Google Meet:
>=20
> https://meet.google.com/yak-ydnk-rnc
>=20
> That will also be recorded and posted to Youtube later in the day.
>=20
> We are still seeking some additional src, ports, and docs committers to=

> help field the questions as well.
>=20

Our first FreeBSD Office Hours event was a success with over 60 people
in attendance.

I've not had time to edit and post the video yet, but it is available in
the DVR buffer on the streaming page:

https://live.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/officehours/

We covered various topics including:
 - What is everyone favourite feature of FreeBSD
 - Status of the OpenZFS port, is it production ready
 - Bugs related to disappeared JBOD disks with CAM and mpr(4)
 - How to find FreeBSD with similar interests and/or a mentor
 - Wiki pages with ideas: JrJobs, SoC Ideas, WantedPorts, etc
 - Pair Programming opportunities
 - How to popularize poudriere for custom package building in the enterpr=
ise
 - Using Office Hours to host tutorial like sessions
 - Call for Help for docbook -> markdown project
   - In progress repo: https://github.com/allanjude/docs
   - Rendered: http://www.bsdbasement.com/freebsd-handbook/
   - Conversion Tool: https://github.com/allanjude/docbookrx
   - Reducing the barrier to writing documentation
   - Improving the organization to make it easier to find 'formal' and
'informal (howto)' type documentation
 - Using Office Hours to smooth transition to git
 - pkgbase, will there be a semi-official repo
 - How will BSDCan be run online this year?
 - Why is there a sock on Dan's microphone
 - The problem with pkg mirrors and download speeds (Europe, Australia)
 - How to fix the pkg repo layout to make it safe to cache
 - What embedded/SBCs are best supported, and will likely to continue to
 - Has anyone been using the ssh-audit package? is it good?
 - What is missing for OpenZFS to be merged into FreeBSD
 - Integrating the FreeBSD ZFS Test Suite (ATF based) into OpenZFS (ksh
based)
 - Are there any bugs people would like to mention, to maybe bring
attention to?
   - PF
   - ZFS + unbalanced NUMA
   - VNET + PF
   - LACP issues
   - LAGG/NIC MAC change issues
 - Is it safe to run dtrace long-term in production
 - rsyslog not working properly on FreeBSD

We hope to try this again in 2 weeks, at a different time to make it
easier for people who could not attend this week.

Thanks to everyone who came out and asked or answered questions.

--=20
Allan Jude