Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 15:05:59 +0000
From:      Ian J Hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CPU voltage (was Re: load spike strangeness)

R Joseph Wright wrote:

> Awhile back I was having trouble getting through kernel compiles, the
> machine would reboot during the compile.  Someone on some newsgroup said
> "are you overclocking?".  I checked my settings.  No, I wasn't
> overclocking.  But my voltage setting looked wrong.  It was set at 2.2
> volts or whatever and I thought it was supposed to be at 2.4.  So I
> changed it to 2.4.  My problem was solved.  I was flying through the
> compiles.  Then I was looking through my motherboard manual and realized
> that it was supposed to be set at 2.2 after all.  I prefer it the way it
> is though.  Do you think there is anything wrong with that?
>
> --
> Best Regards, Joseph
>
>         You will do foolish things,
>      but do them with enthusiasm.  Colette.

You don't say what CPU you have. Is it an AMD K6II 400+ by any chance?

On all the motherbords I've seen lately the CPU PNP for these chips is broken.
They auto detect as 2.4v but have 2.2v stamped on them. Presumably AMD changed the
spec after the BIOS code was written. The important question is why would they
change the core voltage? Temperature?

In fact only this week I had a motherboard which refused to boot when set
correctly, but which was fine on auto. This was a _cheap_ PC Chips board though
:).

If anyone is is _really_ interested I can supply voltage and temperature readings,
but not until monday. Maybe I should try 2.3v too. Please post if you want the
data.

ian