Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:59:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jeffrey D. LaCoursiere" <jeff@jeff.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FW: Prepaid Internet Service (fwd)

Greetings - thought I would say a blurb or two about what was said below.
It is true that most of the BillMax processes run as root.  This is only a
security issue if the machine is accessible to the outside world, which
generally it is not.  Our recommended configuration is to place the BillMax
server behind a firewall and use in-kernel packet filtering to further
restrict access.  The web interface should only be accessible to internal
employees, who must authenticate before accessing.  The shell prompt should
only be accessible by your network and data admins, who are assumed to have
such access on all of your servers.  At this point you are well secured
against all but your internal employees, who would have to come up with a
crack against apache httpd (running as "nobody") or Merit radius (if radius is
being used).  The mysqld is configured not to allow network connects as
shipped.  I am unaware of any current cracks for these daemons, though it
would not surprise me to learn of new ones.

I am certainly open to discuss security issues with regards to our product,
but installed correctly I do not believe any exist.

Thanks,

Jeff LaCoursiere
President/CEO
BillMax ISP Billing Solutions