Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:00:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone have 4.4 on a Toshiba Satellite?

Unless something weird happens, you will use PCI interrupts and
interrupt sharing. An easy check is good old 'vmstat -i'.

> vmstat -i
interrupt                   total       rate
stray irq3                      1          0
mux irq11                  443739          4 <--
ata0 irq14                  57948          0
mwave0 irq10                    3          0
fdc0 irq6                       2          0
atkbd0 irq1                 27962          0
psm0 irq12                 861756          7
pcm0 irq5                  174251          1
clk irq0                 10915805         99
rtc irq8                 13972991        128
Total                    26454458        242

Note that there are no entries for my wi0 device but the magical 'mux'
device has appeared. That is the IRQ assigned to pcic0 and it is
shared with the devices plugged into that controller.

You need to explicitly use sysctl adjustments to over-ride this and
force you back to ISA interrupts. It is possible that, for some
controllers, ISA may be used by default, but I don't think so.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)