Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:04:03 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   some RC2 issues

Got the 4.7-RC2 iso and installed it on an old HP.  Was playing with X to see
if some problems I have with my cvsup'd system are actual 4.7 problems or
simply the result of a zillion upgrades on an old box.

Some things I notice:
 - The X stuff seems to have been compiled on 5.0 box, as the startup from the
X server says:
	Release Date: 3 September 2002
		If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
 		newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
  		reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
	Build Operating System: FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT i386 [ELF]

 - I have a matrox g200 card, and I get errors like this:
	(II) Loading sub module "mga_hal"
	(II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
	(WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
	(II) UnloadModule: "mga_hal"
	(EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not exist, 0)
   (the mga_hal name doesn't exist anywhere that I can find)

 - I can run x using startx ok, but when I try and enable xdm in /etc/ttys, I
get an infinite loop of starting X servers, with the following error in
xdm-errrors:

	(EE) MGA(0): [dri] Direct rendering only supported in 16 and 32 bpp modes
	X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
	  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
	  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
	  Serial number of failed request:  56
	X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
	  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
	  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
	  Serial number of failed request:  56
	AUDIT: Thu Oct  3 03:40:46 2002: 227 XFree86: client 1 rejected from local host
	  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
	Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

I know the mozilla pkg isn't on the RC2 iso, but PR ports/43281 really should
be fixed before cutting the release CDs with a mozilla pkg.

I'm happy to try various things in the next 24 hours or so, but this
hardware will be taken away soon.

Greg.