Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:31:12 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Jonathan Adams <jfadams1963@proton.me>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on AWS

On 12/12/23 19:36, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> Hey folks,
>    I've just set up a FBSD system on AWS (14.0-RELEASE with ZFS) and I'm wondering about the default user ec2-user.
>    My question is, can I remove this user with out breaking anything? I've created my own user account that conforms to my prejudices and am not using this default user for anything.
>
> Thanks in advance!

should be fine, this account is tied to the key you instantiated your
ec2 instance with.  so if you no longer need to use that key and can
login with say your own ssh key and have administrative control you
should be fine.

it may be helpful to keep the account around though, so maybe neuter it
by setting the login shell to /usr/sbin/nologin.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org