Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:19:03 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Rock and Slow Place

Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com> types:
> Hi folks,
>
> In the eternal quest to keep up to date with everything,
> I recently found myself compiling new web browser software.

Personally I like w3m. It has the ability to follow a link in another
browser, which I find incredibly useful.

> So I decided to experiment with Mozilla.  Oh my god is it slow!
> I've got a P-200 here, and that's just flat not usable.
> Did I miss something?

No, you haven't missed anything, and have correctly identified mozilla
as a pig. Remember that it's competing with IE.

There are at least two browsers in the ports tree that use the mozilla
rendering engine and provide their own UI. I use Skipstone, and it
doesn't have that "wading through molasses" feel that mozilla
has. Galeon has also been mentioned, but it uses the gnome libraries -
even though the dependency is missing from the port - which I'd rather
not install just to build a browser.

> In the meantime, I re-pondered Netscape 4.  The current port, 4.76
>
>     www 429 # cd /usr/ports/www/netscape47-communicator
>     www 430 # make
>     ===>  netscape-communicator-4.76 is marked as broken: has a serious
>     security hole, use 4.77 instead.
> But it's not in the port tree that I can find...
> Did I double miss something?

Nope, you're right again. Netscape has not released a BSD version of
4.77, so it's not in the ports, so you have to install the linux
version. You can cut down on the bloat by using
linux-netscape47-navigator, but you'll still have to install the
emulator. If you don't want the emulator, you might consider using
galeon or skipstone for most things, and using the BSD version of 4.76
- install it by removing the BROKEN line from the Makefile - only for
things that are broken in those two browsers, and only briefly.

> Anyone?  Bueller?

So what's the fifty dollar followup question?

	<mike